It has been announced that after Rep. Ed Towns retires this January Rep. Barbara Lee will take over leadership of the Congressional Social Work Caucus. Rep Lee is currently up for reelection for her seat in California. She earned her MSW from the University of California, Berkley in 1975 and has been serving in the House of Representatives since 1998.
There are currently seven Social Workers serving in the United States Congress:
- Rep. Ed Towns (D-NY) will retire at the end of this term
- Senator Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) will face reelection in 2016
- Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) up for reelection this year
- Rep. Susan A. Davis (D-CA) up for reelection this year
- Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) up for reelection this year
- Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) up for reelection this year
- Rep. Allyson Y. Schwartz (D-PA) up for reelection this year
On a related note I will be live blogging the Vice Presidential debate on Twitter you can follow me @poliSW.